- Thou shall not keep slaves
- Thou shall not abuse children
- Thou shall give equal rights and freedoms to everyone regardless of race, sexuality or sexual preference
- Thou shall grant and uphold the right to freedom of expression and speech
- Thou shall treat others as you would like to be treated
- Thou shall keep ones religon to oneself
- Thou shall not indoctrinate chidlren to a religon or cult
- Thou shall not do anything which can cause nett harm to other humans
- Thou shall not expose animals to unesscasry suffering
- Thou shall not use either lies, nor spiritual doctrine, nor temporal power to dominate and exploit others.
The actual Bible Ten Commandments I have commented on before but as Atheism is becoming something of a theme on the site I thought I would do them fresh.
1. You shall have no other gods before me.
Erm I'll make my own mind up thanks. It sounds really sort of dictatorial besides is this God talking, sorry not enough evidence for you to exist so I'll just put this one in the bin.
2. You shall not make for yourselves an idol.
Well good point in some ways but again personal choice.
3. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
What? I don't have a god thanks so I'll use it as I see fit, freedom of speech and all that.
4. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
5. Honour your father and your mother.
Respect should be earned and not given. If it was the other way around I would tend to agree, i.e. Honour your Children. Which sounds a little weird especially as how it might appeal to a Catholic Priest on a different level. so overall this one goes into the bin.
6. You shall not murder.
Not even mass murderers? Agree with the sentiment but dictating freedom of speech on the death penalty can't really agree with that. It's up for debate. Some Bibles of course this is Thou Shall not kill. This is even more controversial euthanasia, it is a tough subject to cover in a sentence. Overall I would reject this one it just does not work in modern day society.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
Fair enough you might want to try and get Christians to follow that though. Been thinking on this, two consenting adults if they want an open relationship not so sure this then applies.
8. You shall not steal.
Ho hum, would I pirate a Microsoft product having watched Pirates of Silicon Valley.... No of course not! :) I did tape off the radio when I was a kid, that's stealing so can't really go full on this one.
9. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbour.
What does this mean lying? Sometimes lying is the best thing to do I won't do examples but white lies are white sometimes.
10. You shall not covet.
Ok that's the entire Western economy screwed, I want an iPhone.